If you own Apple’s second generation device, the Apple TV 2, you’re already accustomed to having awesome entertainment right at your fingertips.
You can stream content from a variety of sources, directly from your computer to your HDMI-equipped HDTV.
However, you might not realize you can also watch Amazon Prime on your device, even though your Apple TV 2 is a little older than the newer Apple models. By having Amazon Prime on your Apple TV 2, you’ll create a hub of content that you can access with ease.
What device will you need to be able to do this? You’ll have to ensure that you have an iOS device or mac in order to be able to connect your Amazon Prime content to your Apple TV 2. That’s it!
There are some important things to know, though. So, with that in mind, let’s check out what you need to do in order to start enjoying Amazon Prime on your Apple TV 2 and enhance your entertainment at home.
How To Watch Amazon Prime On Apple TV 2 With iOS Device
First things first, make sure you have your iOS device handy. This device can be your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.
Then, you’ll also need to download the Amazon Video app. And, of course, make sure you have a subscription to Amazon Prime! Without that subscription, you won’t be able to have access to a variety of content on your Apple TV.
Once you’re sorted with the above requirements, you’ll need to follow these steps:
- Log into your Amazon Prime account.
- Once you’ve logged into the Amazon Prime account, you can start browsing for content. If you want to search for a specific TV show or movie, you can make use of the search bar. After you have typed in a few characters, you’ll see results show up from which you can choose.
- When you have located a video you wish to watch, start playing it on the device.
- While it’s playing, you want to look for the AirPlay logo on the screen – it will be in the upper right corner.
- Press it to choose “Apple TV” and then use AirPlay to stream the audio and video.
What To Do If You Don’t See An AirPlay Button On The Screen
If you’ve followed the above steps but an AirPlay button isn’t showing up on your iPhone or iPad, don’t worry.
You can enable it. How you do this is quite easy.
If you have an iPhone:
- Check that the iPhone and AirPlay receiver are both switched on and are using the same wireless network. If they’re not on the same network, no worries – just make sure that you enter the code that is shown on your TV into the phone. This ensures that all your devices are connected properly so they can work together.
- Get to the Control Center on your iPhone. You can do this easily by swiping up with your finger on the screen.
- Tap and hold the music control area.
- Tap the AirPlay button, then tap a device name in order to connect it via AirPlay.
If you have an iPad:
- Go to the control center.
- Once you’re there, you’ll see an option entitled “Screen mirroring.” Choose that option.
- When a list of devices comes up, tap your one.
- Although it’s easy, bear in mind if you’re using your iPad with Apple TV for the first time you might have to enter a code on your TV so that you can sync the devices.
What Is AirPlay?
If you’re new to all this, you might wonder what AirPlay is and how it works. Basically, AirPlay is useful when streaming because it lets you wirelessly cast video or audio from your Mac, iPhone, or iPad to your Apple TV.
You can also use any other AirPlay 2-compatible smart TVs in order to achieve this.
Now that you know what AirPlay does, let’s look at how you should register your Apple TV with your Amazon Prime app.
How To Register Your Apple TV With Amazon Prime
In order to ensure that your Apple TV is synced with Amazon Prime properly so that you can watch your favorite Prime content on your Apple TV, you will need to register your TV on the Prime app.
This can be done easily. Here’s how.
- First, download the Amazon Prime Video app.
- Launch the app and choose the “register on the Amazon website.”
- By selecting this option, you will receive a five or six character code. Make a note of it, then sign into your Amazon account and punch in that code.
- Once you’ve inputted the code, your registration will be complete and you can start enjoying Amazon Prime on your Apple TV!
Wait – Why Is Amazon Prime Not Working On Your Apple TV?
While you thought the installation and setup of your Amazon Prime app on your Apple TV was easy, you might encounter some problems with actually viewing the content you want to watch.
If you’re experiencing problems with your Amazon Prime not working on your Apple TV, such as the Prime app crashing all of a sudden, you will have to do some troubleshooting. Here’s a rundown of some things you can try.
For starters, check that Prime isn’t down by taking a look at the servers. You can do this by checking the Services Down website.
If everything is up and running on Amazon’s side, you’ll have to check that you’re connected to the internet and that it’s working well.
If you’re experiencing Prime Video but the sound isn’t playing, there are various reasons for this, such as a problem with the app or a software/hardware problem on your TV. It could help you to delete and uninstall the Amazon Prime app from your Apple TV then reinstall it. This might fix the issue.
If you’re battling to watch your favorite TV show or movies because the TV won’t stop buffering, this is usually as a result of slow internet speeds. You can learn more about buffering and how to prevent it by reading, “Why Does Amazon Prime Buffer So Much?.”
What About The Apple TV App?
To make streaming even more interesting, you can access the AppleTV+ streaming service by using the Apple TV app, turning the app into the one-stop-shop for all your entertainment content.
Not only does it display your iTunes and subscription channels, but also your streaming services, like Amazon Prime Video.
This app comes standard with Apple TV that’s at least 4th generation. You can confirm that you have the app by downloading the latest version of tvOS on your Apple TV.
On other devices, such as your iPhone, you need to download and install the latest version of iOS on your device before you can search for the new TV app. On your mac, you will be able to use the TV app if you have the macOS Catalina or later.
One of the best things about the Apple TV app is that it comes with a single sign-on feature. This means that when you start using the app on your iOS device, you will sign in to your streaming app provider and be able to access all the supported apps that are available. You will also have the chance to connect various apps to the Apple TV app, which makes it much more versatile.
What is Amazon Prime’s ‘X-Ray’ Feature?
This feature provides you with information about actors in the show you’re watching, sending it to your iOS device while you watch it play out on the big screen. It also offers you features such as fast-forwarding, rewinding, pausing, and more.
Can you use AirPlay on your PC?
You can do this, but you’ll only be able to use it for iTunes content, so it is quite limited.
Having Amazon Prime benefits right on your Apple TV 2 is a great way to make your entertainment more practical.
But how do you go about doing it? In this article, we’ve featured tips on how to watch Amazon Prime on Apple TV 2 in an easy way.
We’ve also featured some important things you need to know about Apple TV’s app and AirPlay, both of which will make your viewing so much more convenient and enjoyable.