Gone are the days when you could only use Amazon Prime content on a select number of devices.
Now, it’s becoming a service that’s much more accessible and fits into your lifestyle a lot better. You can even use Amazon Prime if you’re a Chromecast user.
What, exactly, is Chromecast?
Google Chromecast is a device you plug into the HDMI port of your TV so you can access video content from a variety of sources. It also enables you to use your smartphone or computer as a remote control.
You can use Chromecast to easily stream Amazon Prime from your iPhone. It’s really simple to do! Here’s what you need to know and how it works.
- 1 Why It’s Worth Streaming Amazon Prime To Chromecast With Your Phone
- 2 Easy Steps To Chromecast Amazon Prime From Your iPhone
- 3 Extra Tips You Need To Know
- 4 What If You Want To Use A Computer Instead?
- 5 Potential Drawbacks Of Casting On Your Computer
- 6 What About Chromecast Mirroring From Your iPhone?
- 7 Do You Need An Ethernet Cable For Chromecast?
- 8 Related Questions
- 9 Conclusion
Why It’s Worth Streaming Amazon Prime To Chromecast With Your Phone
Using your phone might seem like an extra step you have to take in order to start enjoying streaming content, but since Amazon Prime Video offers Chromecast support on Android and iOS phones, it actually makes your entertainment much more accessible.
Just by accessing the Prime app on your phone and using a Chromecast device on your TV, you’ll be able to view your favorite shows on a bigger screen with greater convenience.
Easy Steps To Chromecast Amazon Prime From Your iPhone
Ready to try it out? Here’s what you have to do.
- You’ll start by turning on the TV where you’ve set up your Chromecast device. Make sure you’re now using the HDMI input in which it’s been connected.
- Open your iPhone and go to the Amazon Prime Video app. If you don’t have this app installed, you’ll need to get it by launching the App Store on your phone and searching for “Amazon Prime Video” in the search bar. Once it shows up, download the app by tapping the “Get” button next to the app’s title.
- Once you’ve successfully downloaded the app to your iPhone, you should launch it on your iPhone’s home screen.
- Sign into the app with your Amazon Prime details.
- In the app, find a movie or TV show that you’d like to watch by making use of the search function at the top of the screen.
- Start playing the show.
- Then, press the cast icon in the corner of the screen. It looks like a rectangle with what looks like three network signal bars in one of its corners.
- Once you’ve pressed it, you’ll see castable devices appear. Choose your chromecast device.
- The show or movie you’re watching on your iPhone will now be displayed on your TV.
Extra Tips You Need To Know
It’s really easy to set up and start streaming Amazon Prime to chromecast with the use of your iPhone, but there are some other things you need to know to ensure it goes off without a hitch.
- You’ll need to subscribe to Amazon Prime on your phone. This membership costs $12.99 per month.
- Make sure that your phone is updated to its latest operating system and that the Amazon Prime app on the phone is also the latest version of it. This will ensure that you won’t encounter problems. Your iPhone needs to have at least version 10.1 on it and your Android phone needs to have version 5.0 or more recent versions on it in order to successfully stream content.
- Don’t forget to put your mobile device and Chromecast device on the same Wi-Fi network.
- If you want your TV shows and movies to have subtitles on them, you’ll have to disconnect your Chromecast device from your TV and then access the phone device’s accessibility settings. You will be able to find this in the phone’s submenu where you’ll see subtitle settings. Once you’ve activated the subtitle settings, you must reconnect the Chromecast device to your TV and open the Prime Video app on your phone.
What If You Want To Use A Computer Instead?
The official Amazon Prime app is usually the easiest way to help you enjoy Amazon Prime Video directly on your TV, but that doesn’t mean you’re limited to this option.
It can drain your phone’s battery life, which can make it tricky to use. Therefore, another option you have at your disposal is to cast Amazon Prime from your internet browser window.
This service is compatible with both Mac and Windows.
However, if you want to do this, you’ll need to know you won’t see a cast button on the app when you access it and this is simply because there’s no desktop app for Amazon Prime. That doesn’t mean you can’t use it, though, because you can access Amazon Prime via your browser.
You’ll also need to use Google’s Chrome browser in order to ensure Chromecast will work.
Here’s how to get set up:
- Open your browser and log into the Amazon Prime Video website.
- Search for a video and start playing it.
- You’ll see a line of three dots appear in the upper corner of the page.
- A cast tab will show up. Click on it and you’ll see that device options that you can connect to will be displayed. This will enable you to choose your TV from the list.
Potential Drawbacks Of Casting On Your Computer
The video quality that you’ll be able to achieve by casting Amazon Prime via your computer is 1080p, and that means that you’ll miss out on many 4K videos that could be watched via your streaming box or internet connection.
Lower resolutions result in low-quality audio, signal loss, and pixelation that get in the way of your viewing. It’s also worth mentioning that if your browser and HDCP requirements are not compatible, this will reduce the video quality even more – you’re looking at 720p.
So, always make sure that you have the latest Google Chrome version installed on your computer and that your computer setup is compliant with HDCP – that includes the video card, monitor, and your HDMI cable.
Finally, for the ultimate convenience it’s best to stream via your phone or laptop. If you use your desktop, this can prove frustrating because viewing functions such as “playback” and “pause” are not going to work via your TV remote, which means you’ll have to use the Chrome buttons on your computer.
What About Chromecast Mirroring From Your iPhone?
Chromecast mirroring is when you basically display what’s on your iPhone on your TV. This can be useful if you want to show people your latest holiday snaps or downloaded game because it just makes it easier for them to see it on a larger screen.
However, Chromecast mirroring does have some drawbacks. For starters, the video quality won’t be that great and there is sometimes a delay that’s experienced.
If you’re mirroring apps on the TV, you’ll usually have to purchase the paid versions of the apps in order to be able to give those annoying ads a miss. So, it’s probably not the best way to watch your favorite content on Prime.
Do You Need An Ethernet Cable For Chromecast?
If you don’t have a strong Wi-Fi signal for Chromecast to work at its peak, you don’t have to miss out on the fun of using Chromecast.
You can make use of an ethernet adapter from Google that can be used with Chromecast Ultra or Chromecast with Google TV.
The ethernet cable will also have to be connected to your modem; its USB end needs to be plugged into the Chromecast device, which will then be attached to the TV’s HDMI port.
Chromecast with Google TV is only available in the following countries: Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Ireland, Japan, Italy, United Kingdom, Spain, and the U.S. (except for Puerto Rico).
Why is the cast icon not showing up on my Amazon Prime app?
If you’re trying to use Chromecast from a country in which it’s not available, the cast icon won’t show up.
What countries are eligible for Chromecast?
Where you’ll be able to have access to different generations of Chromecast devices varies. Check out the Google Store Help page to find out what countries can access Chromecast.
Amazon Prime offers you many versatile options for entertainment viewing, and one of the best is to make use of your iPhone and Chromecast device in order to have a convenient and fuss-free experience when you wish to check out the latest must-see movie or TV series.
In this guide, we’ve shown you how you can stream Amazon Prime to Chromecast directly from your iPhone, as well as what to consider if you’d prefer to use your computer instead.