If you own a Sony Smart TV, you’ll probably find that it comes pre-installed with Amazon Prime, which makes it super-convenient for you to start watching all your favorite content.
But if it doesn’t, that doesn’t mean you’re at a loss – you can easily download the Amazon Prime app so that you can start watching your favorite shows and movies without a hassle.
What is Amazon Prime? Amazon Prime is a subscription service that offers you various benefits, one of which is being able to watch Amazon Prime Videos, such as movies and TV show series, all in one place.
By ensuring that your Sony Smart TV can connect to Amazon Prime, you’ll have a much more convenient and enjoyable way to enjoy videos. So, with that in mind, let’s explore how to get Amazon Prime on Sony Smart TV.
What Is A Smart TV?
Before we look at how you can connect your smart TV to the Amazon Prime app, let’s first look at what a smart TV is and how it works.
A smart TV is an internet-connected television, so it can connect to the internet to make use of online apps and services. A smart TV can do various things that your old TV would never dream of, such as streaming videos, playing games, staying up-to-date with your social media, and controlling gadgets such as Alexa.
It’s become your one-stop device for all your entertainment needs. A variety of TV manufacturers offer smart TVs, such as Panasonic, Sharp, Sony, Samsung, LG, and Hisense, to mention just a few.
How To Download The Amazon Prime App On Sony Smart TV
So, if you already have Amazon Prime installed on your Smart TV, good for you.
If you don’t, because your Sony Smart TV doesn’t come with it preinstalled, you can easily set it up. To download the Amazon Prime app on your TV, you’ll have to follow these steps:
- First, make sure that you are an Amazon Prime subscriber. If you don’t know, this subscription service costs $12.99 per month or $119 per year. If you’re a student, you’ll be able to make use of a six-month free trial after which you’ll only have to pay 50% of the regular rate.
- Switch on your smart TV. Make sure it’s connected to your internet connection.
- Download the Prime app on the TV. To do this, you’ll have to go to the Google Play store (since Sony Smart TVs are powered by Android).
- In the Play Store, you want to search for the Amazon Prime app and select it.
- Press “install” so that it can be downloaded to the TV.
- Once the app has been installed, you should open it.
- Sign into the app and then start watching your favorite content.
As you can see from the above steps, it’s really easy to set up Amazon Prime on Sony Smart TV, without the need for anything more than an internet connection.
But You Need To Register Your Device!
Before you rejoice, you will need to do one more thing: register your device. When you set up the Amazon Prime app on your Sony Smart TV, you’ll see an activation code that appears on the screen.
Make a note of it because you’re going to need it to register your device.
- Now, open a browser on your PC or phone so you can head over to the Amazon Prime activation page.
- Sign into your Amazon account. This is the same account you used when you bought your Amazon Prime subscription.
- Punch in the activation code and choose “Register device.”
- When you have registered the Sony Smart TV, the Amazon Prime app on your Sony TV will load so that your media contents can be displayed on it.
- You can go ahead and search for your favorite TV shows and movies so you can stream directly from your TV.
- When you find content you want to watch, download it by tapping the “download” icon (via TechOwns).
That’s it! Once you’ve downloaded the Amazon Prime app onto your Sony TV and registered your device, you’re good to go!
How To Update The Amazon Prime App On Sony TV
Every now and then you’ll have to update your Amazon Prime app so that you have the latest version to ensure that it will work properly.
If you don’t update the app, you could experience problems with your viewing, such as the app not launching. You can easily do updates by opening the “Settings” menu and choosing “Network update.” You will have to check the manual for your specific device to find out more.
However, if you find that your network connection is slow or you can’t download the update you need from the device menu, you can download the update onto your USB drive to make it more convenient.
Why Is Amazon Prime Video Not Working On Sony TV?
If you’re battling to watch your favorite content on Amazon Prime via your Sony TV, there could be various reasons for this.
For example, maybe your TV or region isn’t compatible with Amazon Prime Video. So, if your Amazon Prime app doesn’t show up in the device menu, this means that it’s not supported by the specific Sony TV model you have or the service isn’t available in your country.
If you have an Android Sony TV, you might see an “Error 9353” come up. What does this mean? Although it’s frustrating, it’s good to know that this error usually comes up after you’ve updated your TV’s software.
- You can fix it by pressing the “Home” or “Menu” button on the TV’s remote control.
- Choose “Settings,” then under the TV category choose “Apps.”
- You’ll see “Prime Video” come up.
- Choose “Clear data,” and press “OK” to confirm your choice.
- Restart the TV by turning off the power and waiting for a minute before switching it on again.
Help For Non-Android Sony TVs
There are various error messages that can come up on your LCD Sony TV. Let’s explore them and their solutions.
If you can’t sign into or out of Prime Video, you should follow these instructions to solve the problem:
- Double-check your password – is it correct? You will have to reset it if you’ve forgotten it.
- Try sign into Prime after a few minutes because a temporary network issue could be the culprit.
- If you can’t sign out of Prime, go to “Account and settings.” Then click on “Your devices.” Click “Deregister” next to the device you want to remove. This should help to sort out the issue and prevent it from happening again in future.
If your Prime video won’t play, then you’ll have to follow different instructions:
- Start by closing the Prime Video app on your device.
- Restart it.
- Make sure your device has the latest updates.
- Make sure you’re not using the account on too many devices as you’re only allowed to stream the same title to two devices at the same time (via Prime Video).
- Check that external devices are properly connected to your TV properly. This needs to be done with a HDMI cable which is compatible with HDCP 1.4 for HD content and HDCP 2.2 for UHD or HDR content (via Amazon).
- If other devices in your household are connected to the internet, pause what activities/updates they’re doing.
- Check that your internet connection is working. If it’s not working properly on other devices in the home, like your phone, then there’s something wrong with the internet connection.
Has Sony disconnected Amazon Prime from older Sony smart TVs?
Yes, this occurred in 2019. Sony removed the app from pre-Android Sony TVs. You can find a list of TVs that don’t have Prime by checking out Cord Cutters News.
Can you get Amazon Prime on other smart TVs?
There are a variety of Smart TVs that can work with Amazon Prime. To get a comprehensive list of them, you should visit the Prime Video website.
If you want to combine your Amazon Prime app with your Sony TV so you can make use of all the fantastic Prime shows and movies that are on offer, after reading this guide you now know how you can make it happen.
We’ve also provided you with instructions on how to troubleshoot various issues that can crop up with your Sony TV so you can spend less time trying to make your devices work and enjoy more time viewing your favorite entertainment.
Just make sure you regularly update your Amazon Prime app to keep it in great condition so it doesn’t fail you. Now you can go on and enjoy your favorite content!