If you have TiVo and you have Amazon Prime, why not mix them together?
This ensures you have all your entertainment in one place. At the end of 2019, TiVo launched what’s known as the Prime Video app to help you connect it to Amazon Prime.
What’s the Prime Video app? This is basically the app you will use as an Amazon Prime subscriber so that you can find and watch all your favorite TV shows and movies directly on your device or TV.
Here’s everything you need to know about how to add Amazon Prime to TiVo. The good news is that it’s really easy!
- 1 What, Exactly, Is TiVo?
- 2 Things You Can Do With Amazon Prime On TiVo
- 3 How To Add Amazon Prime To TiVo
- 4 What If You Want To Watch Prime Video On 4K/Ultra HD?
- 5 How To Make The Best Of TiVo Features With Amazon Prime
- 6 How To Search For Amazon Prime Content On TiVo
- 7 Is Amazon Prime Buggy On TiVo?
- 8 Related Questions
- 9 Conclusion
What, Exactly, Is TiVo?
Before we can proceed to show you how to add Amazon Prime to TiVo, it helps to know what TiVo is and how it works.
Basically, TiVo is a brand of digital video recorder (DVR) that enables you to save as well as record shows because of its computer technology.
TiVo is a revolutionary product that has left VCRs behind in the dust. This is largely as a result of how it makes use of a hard drive so you can store hundreds of hours of content on it. It also saves the shows in high definition, which VCRs are not capable of doing.
One of the biggest benefits of TiVo is that you can rewind, pause, or fast-forward shows you’re watching, and this can even be done with live TV.
Things You Can Do With Amazon Prime On TiVo
If you’re interested in connecting your Amazon Prime to TiVo, you’ll be pleased to know it will provide you with some great benefits. These include:
- You’ll be able to purchase or rent videos.
- You’ll gain streaming quality of up to 1080p.
- You’ll be able to access Prime Video content through the OneSearch function. This helps you to search for entertainment across TV and streaming apps.
- You’ll also be able to use the TiVo voice remote for functions.
- You’ll be able to use OnePass, which is a feature enabling you to collect every episode of a series from anywhere.
However, there’s a catch you need to know about. Although you’ll be able to stream videos, you won’t be able to download content. If that’s something that interests you, then you’ll want to connect your Amazon Prime subscription to your Dish TV (to find out more, read “How To Watch Amazon Prime On Dish TV.”)
How To Add Amazon Prime To TiVo
If you’re still interested in connecting Amazon Prime to TiVo, you’ll need to follow these steps.
- First, you’ll need to download the Amazon Prime app on your TiVo. How you do this will vary a little depending on the version of TiVo that you have. If you have TiVo experience 3, you should go to “TiVo Central,” then click on “Apps,” before clicking on “Prime Video.” If you have TiVo 4, you should go “Home,” then click on “Apps,” then “Videos” (or “All”), and finally choose “Prime Video.”
- Make sure that you have a compatible TiVo device. You will be able to watch Amazon Prime content on any TiVo DVR that’s using the latest TiVo experience and any TiVo Mini.
- Once you have downloaded the Prime Video app, you will need to activate your TiVo device. You will receive a code that you’ll need to enter at Amazon’s device registration page.
Note: Bear in mind that all DVRs that are on your TiVo account will have a PIN number that you’ll use when you order videos. Be sure that you set your Prime Video account to accept your digital payments.
What If You Want To Watch Prime Video On 4K/Ultra HD?
If you want to watch Prime Video on 4K or Ultra HD, you will have to ensure that you meet the requirements to do so.
Your internet connection has to have a speed of at least 15mbps or higher, otherwise you won’t get quality pictures that 4K is known for. Your TV set obviously has to be a 4K/UHD compatible device.
In addition to the above, you’ll need a HDCP 2.2 compliant cable as well as a TiVo BOLT Series or a connected TiVo Mini VOX.
How To Make The Best Of TiVo Features With Amazon Prime
It’s not just exciting that you can make use of all the shows and movies that Amazon Prime has to offer, but TiVo has some great features that will enable you to improve your experience of Prime.
- For starters, TiVo has a Voice Remote so you can find what movie or show you’re looking for just by asking for it. This prevents you from having to search on the screen and type the name of the show into the search bar.
- TiVo will also make your viewing experience much more convenient, thanks to how it has an in-built feature that collects a series’ episodes so that you can bookmark them for viewing at a later date.
How To Search For Amazon Prime Content On TiVo
Now that you’re all set up with Amazon Prime Video on your TiVo, you might wonder how to start finding content to watch.
It’s really easy because when you search for shows on your TiVo box, your results will include Prime Video content automatically, without you having to search for it in a different way. This makes watching Prime on your TiVo so much more convenient.
You’ll easily be able to tell which shows are Prime by looking for the blue Prime icon next to them.
Note that the Prime icon might appear blue or black, and this means different things. If the icon is blue, this means that the item you wish to watch is part of your Prime membership. On the other hand, if the icon is black, you will need to rent or buy the item before you can watch it.
Another important thing to note is that you might have connected your TiVo to Amazon Prime but not be seeing content from Prime in the search results. This could be as a result of your settings. To fix them, you must go to “User Preferences” and choose the Prime Video app. This will ensure that your Prime content will be displayed.
If you still want to search for Prime Videos:
To be able to search for content via your Amazon Prime app on TiVo, you can also follow these instructions:
- Start by going to the TiVo home screen.
- From there, choose “Apps” and find “Prime Video.”
- Sign into your Amazon Prime video account.
- Then, choose a show from one of the categories that are displayed, or search for content in the search bar.
Or, as mentioned earlier, simply use your TiVo Voice Remote to find your favorite shows!
Is Amazon Prime Buggy On TiVo?
If you’re having problems with using Amazon Prime on your TiVo, this could be as a result of TiVo being down. Use the Down Detector to ensure that the service is running properly.
If content you’re trying to watch just won’t play, or it causes the screen to remain black, you will need to do the following:
- Go to “Settings and messages.”
- Then, choose “Settings,” followed by “Channels,” and “My Video Provider List.”
- Uncheck “Amazon Prime Video.”
- Go to “TiVo Central,” and choose “Settings and messages.” Then choose “Settings,” followed by “Network,” and select “Connect to TiVo service now.”
- Wait about an hour before you recheck the Amazon Prime Video option.
- Then, go back to “TiVo Central” and follow the same instructions as above (go to “Settings and messages,” then “Settings,” then “Network,” and “Connect to TiVo service now”) so that you can reconnect to the TiVo service.
- You’ll have to wait another hour before you can check if the services are working, but they should be!
Does Amazon Prime come pre-installed on the TiVo Stream 4K?
Yes, and so do other apps, such as Netflix, Starz, Hulu, and more.
Does your TiVo device need to have the latest software to access Prime?
Yes, it needs to have the most recent version of the TiVo software in order to work properly.
Can you stream one Prime video to multiple TiVo devices?
You can stream Prime Video to a maximum of two TiVo devices at a time. Each program can only be streamed to one device at a time.
If you have TiVo and you’re an Amazon Prime subscriber, why not just combine the two to enhance your entertainment experience?
In this article, we’ve provided you with information you need to add Amazon Prime to TiVo so you can start enjoying more of your favorite shows and movies and have them all in the same place.
All you need is to ensure that you have the latest TiVo software and the Amazon Prime app.