If you’ve heard about Amazon Prime Household, you might have some questions or wonder how it works, exactly.
Basically, Amazon Prime Household is a fantastic way to enjoy benefits from Amazon Prime with other members of your family, whether adults, teens, or children.
How many members can be in an Amazon Prime Household? Your household can be made up of two adults with their own Amazon accounts, up to four teens with their own login details to shop or stream content, and up to four children.
What can you gain from Amazon Household and is it worth it for your family? Here’s everything you need to know about it before you sign up.
How Does Amazon Prime Household Work?
When you set up an Amazon Prime Household account, you elect one account holder who will share the same payment method with another adult who’s in the same household.
This enables you to share various features as well as Prime Video. Here are other benefits that you can gain when you make use of Amazon Prime Household:
- The adults in the household can share their Prime benefits with children and teens in the family, while also being able to monitor their activities.
- Amazon Prime Household offers free two-day shipping for the entire family.
- There’s the chance to take advantage of unlimited photo storage, which also provides enhanced search and storage options.
- Members will receive discounts on monthly memberships for Prime Video channels, such as HBO.
Can You View Your Teens’ Transactions?
If your child is a teen, you’ll likely worry about him or her making purchases you don’t want them to.
Since teens can have their own accounts, they can log into their accounts on their own, stream content, and link a card to their account. If that sounds worrying to you as a parent, don’t worry – you’ll have to approve the card and any changes they make to it.
To further keep your account safe, you can choose that a text message notification gets delivered to your phone for any purchase that’s made over a certain price and you’ll also be able to see a list of what your teen has bought. By comparison, a teen won’t be able to view your purchases.
How To Set Up An Amazon Prime Household Account
You can set up your Household account very quickly – here are the steps you need to follow.
- Set up your Amazon Prime account if you don’t already have one. This costs $12.99 per month.
- Log into your Amazon Prime Account. You can do this easily by going to the Amazon homepage and clicking on “Accounts & Lists” that’s located at the top of the page.
- After gaining access to your account, you’ll go back to the homepage and click on “Accounts & Lists” once again.
- Now you will have to scroll all the way down to “Shopping Programs and Rentals.”
- Here, you’ll click on “Amazon Household.”
- Once you’ve done the above steps, you’re ready to start creating your Amazon Prime Household account! There are three types of members you can add to the Household account: adults, teens, or children.
How to set up an adult on the account:
You should start by adding an adult. How you do that is by clicking the “Add Adult” option, which is located at the top of the screen.
You can either enter their name and email before clicking “Continue,” or you can choose the “Sign up together on this device” option. This can be beneficial because it will make the person the secondary adult on the Household account.
If you go with the secondary adult option, the person will have to verify their account by logging in with their email and password. Once they’ve done that, you can click “Verify second adult’s account.”
You’ll be asked if you want to share payment options as well as Prime benefits with this secondary person. Click on the circles to the left of the option to agree, and then choose the “Create household” option at the bottom of the screen.
After you’ve done that, you’ll be directed to a screen that will display your profile and that of the secondary adult. Click on “new adult” and then click “complete” once you’ve confirmed your card information and specified if you’re going to be using the same card or separate ones.
Now here’s the interesting part. The next step is to state how much you’ll actually share with each other, such as when it comes to games and apps. You and the secondary adult will be able to make your choices depending on what feels right for you. When you’re done, click “Next.”
How to set up a teen on the account:
To add a teen to the Household Account, you’ll start on the Amazon Household homepage and click the “Add a teen” option. This will take you to the teen page where you’ll gain information about how the process works. Click “Sign up now,” located at the top of the screen.
You’ll be prompted through different aspects of the account, such as inputting payment options and shipping addresses.
When you reach the part about notifications on the account, it’s a good idea to consider if you want to put in your phone number so that you’ll gain info about your teen’s purchases. You’ll then have to connect your teen’s phone number or email address, and click “Continue.”
This will send the teen an invite for them to join the account. They’ll have two weeks to accept, and if they do they will have to follow the instructions in the text or email, and sign into their account.
How to add a child to your account:
Adding a child is much easier because children are not allowed to make any purchases on Amazon.
Click on “Add a child” on the Amazon Household homepage. You’ll be prompted to input your child’s information, such as their name and date of birth. Click “Save” when you’ve input all the information.
That’s all there is to it! Now your child has been added to the account.
Once you’ve set up all the members of the Amazon Prime Household account, you will be directed to a page where you can manage the household members’ benefits.
Now for the fun part to start! You can share content such as images, music, and movies with your family members, as long as you’ve confirmed that they have access to the media you want to share with them.
To share content with members of your household, you need to follow these steps:
- Click on “Accounts & Lists.”
- Scroll to “Digital Content and Devices,” and click on “Manage Content and Devices.”
- You’ll be taken to a new page, where you’ll see the “Content” tab in the upper left-hand corner.
- Choose “Show Family Library.” To share an item with another member, click on the empty box beneath the “Select” list on the far left. Then, click “Add To Library.” This enables you to put items into your family library.
- When you’ve done that, press “Okay.”
There are loads of benefits that you and your partner can share. These include:
- Shipping benefits, such as free two-day Prime shipping;
- Digital benefits, like Prime Reading, Prime Video, and Audible channels;
- Discounts, such as exclusive prices on Amazon Music Unlimited and Kindle FreeTime Unlimited subscriptions;
- 2 percent rewards whenever your Amazon Gift Card Balance with your checking account with a linked debit card (via Amazon).
Do Amazon Household members need to live at the same address?
Although you might think that you and your family members need to be living at the same address for you to make use of the Prime Household service, this isn’t the case. Once the Household account has been set up, members can use it even if they live at different addresses.
Will all your Household members be able to see your purchases?
When setting up your Household account, you’ll be able to manage the member profiles and how much you share with them, such as apps, e-books, and games.
If you have a few members of your household who love Amazon Prime, a good idea could be to set up Amazon Prime Household.
This enables you to share different content with each other, while also being able to manage what your teens do when it comes to online shopping. In this article, we’ve looked at everything you need to know when setting up an Amazon Prime Household account and why it’s worth it.